So many Christians go through so much of their lives living like spiritual beggars. This is not God’s plan for us! As Paul continually prayed for his beloved spiritual children in the first century AD, so we continually pray for you all today, that God would keep showing you more and more each day how truly rich you are in Christ. Our salvation experience is not the end of our spiritual journey! True, we will never be more justified or accepted by God then we were the moment that we first trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation. As we learned in Ephesians 1:13-14, that divine miracle of our conversion was marked by the sealing of the Holy Spirit in our lives, God’s promise to us that we will always be His. But our understanding of that salvation event, our understanding of what it means to be “in Christ,” our comprehension of how beautiful and kind and gracious our Heavenly Father is to us, our vision of His kingdom and power and glory, that will keep growing until the day that we meet the Lord in eternity.
Never be satisfied and complacent with where you are in your walk with Christ! We will not arrive where God wants us to be spiritually until we arrive with all His other pilgrims in heaven. We urge you today, seek the Lord. Pray along with us that God would keep showing our hearts and not just our heads “what is the hope of His calling” for our lives (verse 18). Open the eyes of our hearts, Lord, to know You and Your ways more today and every day!
The Text (Ephesians 1:15-18)
15 Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
Questions to Think About
1. Did you know that your teachers and other Christians are continually praying for you to know Christ more and more each day? How does knowing this encourage you in your walk with the Lord?
2. Why is it important for Christians to see their salvation experience as the beginning rather than the end of their spiritual journey? What do you say to a friend who claims to have accepted Jesus but shows no interest in their own spiritual growth?
3. Have you ever struggled with knowing what to pray for? Let today’s passage show you a great daily prayer request – that our minds and hearts would be open to seeing the Lord more and more.
- We notice again with verse 15 that Paul is writing this letter to believers. As we heard in the chapel message on Ephesians 1:1-14, all the great blessings of salvation, being chosen, forgiven, adopted, accepted, redeemed, and secured forever by God, are only true of those who have trusted in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. If you realized during the end of the chapel message that there is in fact NO evidence in your life of a saving, personal relationship with Jesus, then your business right now is with the cross! Our prayer for you is that God’s Holy Spirit, the “hound of heaven,” would lovingly and relentlessly pursue you until you surrender your life to Jesus Christ. Then these promises that you once thought dumb and boring will begin to enflame your heart with the indescribable joy that you’ve seen in your Christian friends!
- Some translations of verse 18 include the wording “the eyes of your hearts” rather than “the eyes of your understanding.” Both translations together give the full sense that Paul intends. Spiritual growth is a ongoing renewing of the mind by the combined work of the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. As we daily study the Bible and pray, our faith and personal holiness grow. But our progress in Christ also includes an ongoing transformation of our hearts. We believe, trust, and obey Jesus Christ more each day not just with our heads, but with our hearts. May both your mind and spirit be renewed today!